Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Labor and Delivery

Hellooo! This is my first blog post ever and I'm a little nervous about writing. I want it so I can share what's going on in our family but more importantly just for me to have and look back on! Feel free to follow and hopefully it will be continually interesting! So I thought I would first share about when Jaxon came into the world. Let's go back a little bit. In March of 2013 Terryl and I found out we we're having a baby! It took us about 11 months to get pregnant and there were many times through out those months where I thought I was and then I wasn't. So the week before we found out I told terryl, "if I haven't "started" before Saturday then we will take a pregnancy test." (this was Monday.) By Tuesday I was too anxious and couldn't wait. I was at work and I decided to go to the store with the baby I nannied and buy a test. The cashier at the store was probably thinking," you have a four month old and you're buying a pregnancy test?!" Anyway, I went and took the test and sure enough it was positive. I freaked out and took two more tests. Positive! So I rushed home and told terryl I was pregnant. He freaked out and didn't say anything for 10 minutes and so I started crying and it was a huge mess. I went back to work and he went to work. Terryl had time to process things that day so when we got home that night, everything was better and we celebrated! Talk about an emotional roller coaster. And that was only the beginning! Baby was due November 26. If you want to see the video we made to tell everyone about Jaxon, click on this link! Baby Announcement Video Ok so fast forward 8 months. It was Sunday, November 24, and I was 9 months pregnant and so ready to be done! Terryl had been saying for a while that baby was going to be coming on Monday, November 25. He said he told our baby boy to come then, so he would. Well, 4:30 AM on Monday morning, I started having contractions. They were painful enough to where I couldn't sleep so I started timing them.  They were about 10 minutes apart for about 3-4 hours. I thought, today is the day! Terryl went to work but was anxiously awaiting a phone call from me telling him we needed to go to the hospital. I went over to my sisters house just to wait it out as long as I could. About 12PM contractions were 5 minutes apart and very consistent. I waited until 6pm and Terryl came and picked me up and we went to the hospital.The contractions were pretty intense so I figured it was time to go. We got in to triage and they checked me and I was only dilated to a 4 and my water hadn't broke. I was pretty disappointed. They told us to walk around the hospital for an hour to see if I'd progress at all. An hour went by and I was still at a 4. The nurse gave us two options. She said that we could get set up in a labor and delivery room and they would put me on pitocin to get things moving or we could go home and wait it out. I decided I wanted to go natural, no epidural, and so we went home and waited it out. Things were really intense by then and I thought how could things get worse? The pain is really bad. The only thing that made me feel good was warm showers so I got in and my water ended up breaking in the shower! As soon as that happened the contractions were so much more intense that I told Terryl we had to go. He said, "are you sure?" I was ticked that he'd even ask. We got to the hospital and in to triage. The nurse had said that  I was only dilated to a 5 but  my water had partially broken so they got us into a room. By then, it was 2AM and contractions were about every 3 minutes and beyond excruciating. The nurse asked if I wanted to sit on a birthing ball and at first I hesitated but then I thought, what the heck. It was the best thing ever!! Sounds weird, but when a contraction would come, I would rock back and forth on it, breath in and out as deep as I could and squeeze the life out of Terryls hand and then it was all over for another 3 or 4 minutes! Sometimes I would walk around and squeeze the counter edge as hard as I could to get through that never ending minute of pain.  During one of my contractions I heard a camera snap and when I was done with that one I asked Terryl if he had taken a picture. He just started laughing and I told him I was going to punch him. How rude is that?! The contractions continued for about 7 hours and finally by 930AM on Tuesday, I was dilated to a 10. The baby wasn't coming down at all so they put a peanut ball in between my legs to quicken the process and that is when I about died. My doctor said "this will make it more intense but it will move things a long." I couldn't imagine any pain more intense than what I was feeling right then. I literally thought my life was over because my body couldn't handle anymore.
 I had been awake for 29 hours and every 3 minutes every single muscle in my body would tense up.
 It was the longest and most tiring night of my life. I remember saying multiple prayers throughout 
that time and Terryl told me later that he heard me mumbling! I had no idea I was talking out loud! 
How embarrassing.... Finally I was able to start pushing and only 20 minutes later, at 10:16AM our 
beautiful baby boy was born! I remember saying over and over again, "He's here! He's here!" Terryl cut the umbilical cord and then they placed our brand spankin new baby on my chest. I could not believe it was all over! There was hardly any pain as I held my baby boy. The nurses then took him and they got him cleaned up a little more and weighed and then I was able to hold him for awhile longer. Terryl finally got to hold him about 45 minutes after he was born and then we were transferred to a recovery room. Family was there waiting before he was even born so we had visitors right away! Jaxon Hugh Farnsworth was a whopping 6lbs 3oz and 20 inches long. 
Everything went perfectly, no complications, and we were able to go home the next morning! Jaxon 
is and has always been such an easy baby. He's so sweet and ALWAYS smiling!




sooo much hair!

3 days old


two months old

2 comments:

  1. Erin!! So brave, strong and resilient you are. I could hardly stand laboring to a 6.5 before I got my epidural. Beautiful story :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet story, Erin! I am so jealous that your labor started before your water broke. My water broke and I didn't go into labor, so we decided on pitocin 16 hours later. Of course they admitted me because my water broke so I was in the hospital forever! Way to go on the unmedicated birth. 5 hours of pitocin and being only 2 centimeters, I caved and got the epidural. You're a rockstar!

    ReplyDelete